Wednesday, January 27, 2010

And just when you thought things were getting on track...

Ay, it's only Wednesday, and what a week. I had a chance to visit another studio on Sunday, but aside from that class, I haven't been able to practice. I have been having some health concerns lately, and the doctor insisted I take a few days off from work and rigorous exercise.

Of course, during the office visit to the doctor my concerns were largely about yoga. He wasn't familiar with Bikram yoga, and after I described it, he asked, "Why do you go so often?" In response, the words, "it saved me" popped out of my mouth. Maybe that's a slight exaggeration--I don't have any life-threatening illnesses (so far!) that Bikram cured me of. But, as I've posted here numerous times already, the mental and physical benefits are so life altering that, in a way, it did save me. Y'all know what I mean: we are our own worst enemies, and yoga is a tool that can save us from ourselves.

Admittedly, I'm in a kind of scary place right now. I am humbled by being told that it would be dangerous for me to practice for a while, but I'm also worried, of course, about missing too many classes. Ugh, a whole week without doing this?? What am I supposed to do with myself?

One cool thing: the doctor was so interested in the yoga that he listened to me prattle on about it and its benefits for a while, and he even asked me to bring him some information on it next time! He said he has a studio near his house and might be interested in trying it.

Thanks for letting me vent! :-)

4 comments:

Sisya said...

Oh, Yolk E, I'm so sorry to hear that you're having health issues. It's cool that your doctor was interested in the yoga, and it's also the coolest that you are doing what you need to do to take care of yourself.
Hoping that your health issues are all resolved soon.

Elisa said...

Thanks, Sisya! <3

thedancingj said...

What a bummer!!! But you know what? You've been doing this stuff for years, you'll KEEP doing it for years and years, and a week is JUST a week. You will certainly be AMAZED at all the free time you have. Start a novel! Read Proust! Catch up on every episode of Bones! Go for long walks on the beach and take pictures of seagulls! Learn to bake a souffle! It'll be over before you know it.

I hope your health improves quickly, and I hope you have a chance to take your doctor to a class someday!

xoxo J

Elisa said...

Thanks for the pep talk! :-) Replace Proust with Kundera and Bones with the Sopranos and you got it down! Hehe.