Monday, January 31, 2011

Peeking Around the Doorframe

Hi!! *Peeks around shyly from door frame.*

I've missed y'all! Believe me, I'm here. I just haven't been coming out of my little house, or sitting on the porch and waving, or even shouting "hello!" from the window. But know that I'm watching, looking out and glad to know there's a happy little yoga blogging community out there. 

It's been a while since I've posted. Sometimes, the stuff that swallows up your life just doesn't belong on a blog!

But that doesn't mean that stuff doesn't belong in the yoga room. Man, I don't need to tell you, it's nice to have something steady to come to whenever a good sweat is needed.

I've been reminded lately of how much of a barometer yoga is. Weeks where I'm happy and calm, I march straight up to the front row, confident that my practice will simply be what it is, and that I don't need to worry about what's going to happen. Weeks where things are more challenging, I hang out in the back. My mind takes over, I'm wobbly, and I feel like my classes aren't "good." Always, though, I am pretty sure the yoga affords me tiny glimpses of awareness I wouldn't otherwise get, to say nothing of the physical benefits.

Fortunately, my new work schedule (it seems to change semesterly!) allows me to practice at different times, and I love how different the practice is at various times of the day! I get up for the 6:30 a.m. class on Friday mornings, and I'm solid and steady. I do all the postures and I'm happy to be there, like I've discovered some secret cache of time and place that only a handful of others know about. 9:00 a.m.s are a struggle, but I always feel like I won some sort of epic battle. And then, there are the p.m. classes. I suffer, I struggle, and then I struggle because I'm mad at myself for struggling. Fortunately, I leave cleansed, refreshed and just a bit lighter on the inside and out.

So... home is warm and safe, but I sure do miss my network of yogis. Know that I'm here and I'm reading!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Miss you E! :)

Catherine said...

Hi - I've missed you, too. Been thinking - maybe you should come out to NY! Sharon Salzberg is lecturing/conversing at the Rubin (Himalayan) Museum. :) xoxo

yogeekirsten said...

I don't like standing in the front because, it feels like all eyes are on me.. no matter how good my practice is that day. I like being the slacker in the back. Hehe. It is nice to hear about your practice. Cheers!

Elisa said...

Thanks, Elle!

Catherine, you should definitely go see Sharon S! I saw her a few months ago and she was wonderful.

Thanks for the comment, Kirsten! Sometimes I let the "all eyes on me" thing get to me, too :-)

hannahjustbreathe said...

I hear ya, lady! I've been such a bad blogger of late, barely making my rounds, missing all you fabulous yogi writers.

We are all stil here, though, in some sense, thinking of one another. And that is comfort enough to me. :)